FIRST AMERICAN EAGLE GOLD COINS EVER MINTED
Scott A. Travers (right) with James A. Baker III, Secretary of the Treasury under President Ronald Reagan. In 1986, at the gold American Eagle First Strike Ceremony in West Point, Travers was invited to strike the 27th American Eagle one-ounce gold bullion coin ever made. PCGS later certified it as Mint State 68. The coin was given to him by the U.S. Mint in exchange for his reimbursement of the melt value of the metal.
MOST HONORED HOBBY BOOKS OF ALL TIME
Scott A. Travers is author of the coin field’s bestselling books, including The Coin Collector’s Survival Manual, Revised Seventh Edition, the most honored hobby book of all time. His books are available in print and you can buy the Survival Manual as an eBook.
- The Coin Collector’s Survival Manual was named “Book of the Year” (1984) by the Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG)
- Rare Coin Investment Strategy was named both “Book of the Year” and “Best Investment Book” by the NLG in 1986
- The Coin Collector’s Survival Manual, Second Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book” 1988, and the only book to be given the NLG’s “Consumer Protection Award”; Third Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book” (1995); Revised Fourth Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book,” (2004); Fifth Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book,” (2006); Fifth Edition, NLG “Book of the Year,” (2006); Sixth Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book,” (2009); Seventh Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book,” (2011); Revised Seventh Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book” (2016);
- The Investor’s Guide to Coin Trading was named “Best Investment Book” (1990) by the NLG
- One-Minute Coin Expert, NLG “Extraordinary Merit” 1992; Special Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book” (1993); Second Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book” (1996); Fifth Edition, NLG “Best Investment Book” (2005)
- How to Make Money in Coins Right Now was named “Book of the Year” and “Best Investment Book” of 1997 by the NLG
- Random House 1997 “Award of Excellence” in recognition of “outstanding contributions to the unprecedented numismatic work The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection
- The Coin Collector’s Survival Manual CD-ROM Editions were named “Best Software Program” of 1998, 2006 by the NLG
- Scott Travers’ Top 88 Coins Over $100 was named “Best Investment Book” of 1999 by the NLG
- Named “Outstanding Young Numismatist” (1978) by the American Numismatic Association (ANA). This award is the ANA’s highest honor given to a member under the age of eighteen. The award carried with it a collection of U.S. gold coins ranging in denomination from quarter eagle through double eagle.
- Voted “Adult Advisor of the Year” (1984) by the ANA and presenter as former ANA Vice President of the 2001 “Adult Advisor Award”
- ANA Ray Byrne literary award for “Coins Under the Lights,” COINage magazine, December 1979. Reprinted by ANA in The Numismatist, November 1980. (Research concerning deceptive lighting practices)
- Michigan State Numismatic Society (MSNS) “Article of the Year” Roethke memorial award for “The Numismatist and the Magnifying Glass,” COINage magazine, October 1980. (Investigative report)
- Recognized by the NLG for having the “best all around portfolio or collection of writings, 1984 through 1985”
- NLG “Best Television Broadcast” (1987) for “Coin Investment Strategies,” Cable News Network, Patrick Emory and Scott A. Travers
- NLG “Audio-Visual Award” (1988) for “How to Be a Smart Coin Consumer,” WNBC-TV ch. 4, Betty Furness and Scott A. Travers
- NLG “Radio Award” (1989) for being an “extraordinary on air coin commentator,” Financial Journal, WTAG/Mass. 580-AM
- Awards for addressing ANA educational forums and conducting seminars at ANA conventions throughout the nation, each year beginning 1980 and continuing through to the present
- Award in recognition of “outstanding addresses at the Educational Forums of the Atlantic City Coin Expositions, 1981 & 1982”
- Awards for conducting educational seminars at the annual conventions of the Florida United Numismatists, as well as the Dallas Coin Expo
- Awards for addressing various Metropolitan New York Numismatic Conventions, sponsored by the New York Numismatic Clubs
- Awards for addressing various Greater New York Numismatic Conventions, sponsored by the American Israel Numismatic Association
- Inaugural keynote speaker award (1993), Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America (NGC) Northeast Numismatic Exposition
- Award from New York International Numismatic Convention (1994) “in appreciation of service and dedication to numismatics, for reaching above and beyond, and for sharing special knowledge”
- Educational Forum speaker award, California State Numismatic Association, 1994 “Special Event”
- ANA “Master Numismatist” and “Numismatic Mentor”; Glenn B. Smedley Medal (1992 and 1999); National Coordinator’s Award for Numismatic Excellence (1999)
- NLG Extraordinary Merit – Broadcast Journalism Award for the “Bloomberg Moneycast,” January 2000.
- Numismatic Literary Guild Lifetime Achievement Clemy, 2002
- ANA Presidential Award, 2003
- Florida United Numismatists A.J. Vinci Award for Outstanding Contributions in Education (2010)
- Numismatic Ambassador (Krause Publications), 2010
- Burnett Anderson Memorial Award, 2016 – jointly presented by the American Numismatic Association, American Numismatic Society and Numismatic Literary Guild
- Named to Coin World‘s “most influential people in numismatics” list, 2022 and 2023
TELEVISION CAMERAS EVERYWHERE
Interviewed/featured many times on CNN; CNBC; FOX; Telemundo; Reuters Television; WABC and WNBC. Featured on the AOL Welcome screen (three days in a row in 2006). The 2006 publication of The Coin Collector’s Survival Manual was the subject of syndicated network television news features on ABC and FOX. Interviewed on ABC-TV’s Good Morning America, NBC-TV’s Today, CBS-TV’s Sunday Morning, and multiple times on ABC News Now. Former on-air commentator (precious metals and rare coins) for CBS Radio/Boston. Interviewed many times on Bloomberg television and radio, ABC-radio affiliates, National Public Radio, Canada’s The World Tonight, AMEX Business Talk segment of the New York Stock Exchange Radio Network, Inside Edition (twice prominently) and on various other radio stations
throughout the nation. Featured in articles and quoted about coin collecting and investing in: Business Week, Barron’s, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, The New York Times, The Washington Post, New York Post, New York Daily News, Record of Hackensack; The Los Angeles Times, The International Herald Tribune, Library Journal, Trader Monthly, Millionaire, Atlanta Constitution Journal; USA Today, Money magazine, Continental Airline In-flight Traveler; Cigar Aficionado, WatchTime and others (as well as cited regularly in the leading trade references and periodicals).